Thursday, August 25, 2011

The cooking stage


We have all heard of the Kubler-Ross model...you know, those five stages of grief. (Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, and Acceptance) Since my grandmother passed away in June, I have noticed that there is, in fact, a sixth stage...or maybe it's stage 4.5...whatever. Somewhere around the acceptance stage, there lies the Cooking stage. I'm sure that not everyone will experience this stage. But maybe you've been there, too if you had someone in your life like my grandmother. No matter who you talk to about Juanice Hardy, they will certainly mention her cooking. I don't have very many childhood memories that don't involve her, and most of those involve cooking or eating! She loved to make people happy with food!!

In the two months since we lost her, I have baked her famous Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookies 5 times. Five. And this weekend, I NEEDED to make her Chocolate Eclair. I love the comforting way those cookies smell and the way the pan of chocolatey pudding looks in my fridge. As I cook through these recipes, I hear Memom's voice in my head...her little tricks and tips and substitutions...teaching me how to crack an egg...showing me how to scoop out perfectly sized cookies with two teaspoons.

So, it seems I'm in the Cooking stage. Maybe I'll be there forever. I miss my grandmother, but I know she is always with me...especially in the kitchen!

Chocolate Eclair
Juanice Hardy


2 small packages instant vanilla pudding
8 oz cool whip, thawed
3 cups milk
1 box graham crackers
1 can fudge icing

Mix together pudding, milk, and cool whip with a whisk until smooth and thick. Line a 9x13 with a layer of graham crackers. Spread half of pudding on top. Layer another sheet of grahams. Spread on the remaining pudding. Layer another sheet of grahams. Place the icing can in the microwave for 30 seconds and stir. Pour icing over grahams and spread out. Refridgerate and serve cold or at room temp.

No comments:

Post a Comment