Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Back after a break...

Well, I haven't posted in a while. Justin was out of town most of last week, so there wasn't much point in cooking just for lil' ol' me. But, now the hubby is back home and the cooking is back ON!!
I love crab cakes. Pretty much anywhere we go, I order crab cakes as an appetizer or entree. My favorite crab cake is from The Parker House restaurant, here, in Jackson. It is FULL of delicious sweet crab...way more crab than cake! If you have never visited The Parker House, I highly reccommend it! I found this recipe for crab cakes in my mom's Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book (a classic).

Crab Cakes

Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book

1 beaten egg
1 cup, plus 3 Tbsp. bread crumbs
3 Tbsp. mayo
2 Tbsp. thinly sliced green onion
1 Tbsp. snipped fresh dill
1 tsp. seafood seasoning
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 16 oz. can pasteurized crabmeat
2 tsp. cooking oil
1 recipe red pepper relish (below)

In a medium mixing bowl combine egg, 1 cup bread crumbs, mayo, onion, dill, seafood seasoning, and pepper. Stir in crab. Divide mixture into eight portions. Moisten hands and form each portion into a 2 and 1/2 inch patty. Place crab cakes in a greased shallow baking pan. Combine remaining bread crumbs and oil. Sprinkle over crab cakes, pressing to adhere. Bake uncovered in a 450 degree oven for 12 to 15 minutes until light brown. (You could also pan fry). Serve with red pepper relish.

Red Pepper Relish

Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book

In a small bowl combine half of a 7 oz jar of roasted red sweet peppers, drained and chopped; 1 Tbsp. drained and chopped oil packed sun dried tomatoes; and 1/4 tsp. seafood seasoning.

I made a simple sauce with 2 Tbsp. mayo, 2 tsp. key lime juice and a little seafood seasoning to serve on top of the crab cakes along with the relish. I also made a quick salad with mixed baby greens, some of the red pepper relish, chopped walnuts, and sweet onion dressing. The crab cakes were easy to make and very good! Healthy, too, I suppose, since they weren't fried!

No comments:

Post a Comment