Thursday, August 19, 2010

Butternut Squash Lasagna and Zucchini Casserole

I have been feeling a bit under the weather this week, so I made two "big pan" meals so we could have leftovers for lunches and dinners later. Both of these are delicious, FULL of colorful veggies, and from....COOKING LIGHT. I should branch out more, but Cooking Light has the best healthy recipes!! So, here we go...

Butternut Squash Lasagna
Cooking Light

I followed the recipe exactly, with no adaptations. Except for the fact that, in one of the pans, I got a little mixed up on the layers! Ooops! It all got in there, though!



I even made the Smoky Marinara. You could, I suppose, use a canned marinara. But, why when this is so easy and tasty?? Look for the fire roasted tomatoes in the organic section at your grocery.

Smoky Marinara
Cooking Light



Zucchini Casserole with Red Pepper Aioli
Cooking Light



I adapted this one a bit. It really sounded like too much liquid to me. I used two 6 oz cans of tomato paste in place of one of the cans of diced tomatoes. I added 1/2 cup of tomato juice at the end, but only used about 10 oz of chicken broth. It turned out just right, not soupy at all, which I feared would have grossed me out. The layers of bread were not soggy at all. Actually they kind of melted into the casserole, the perfect binder. Whatever you do, do not skip the aioli! It is magical. You will have a lot leftover...put it in the fridge and dip some raw veggies in it later!!



No comments:

Post a Comment