Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Lazy blogger...

Yes, I have been quite the lazy blogger lately...But I have been busy! I have been cooking (duh!), painting, and learning how to take pretty pictures with my camera. I have tons of recipes I need to fill y'all in on, but first, let me show you what I've been doing!
I have had this huge canvas sitting in our spare bedroom for months. Finally, I got the time and inspiration to use it! I decided I needed some new art above the mantle, so this is what I did:

You like? I think it turned out cute, plus it looks perfect with our new furniture!

I have always wanted to know how to use my camera (a Nikon d3000 DSLR) without just putting it in one of the "auto" modes. So....I ordered a book and got busy! I am still figuring some things out, but I know how to make a correct exposure in Manual mode. Pretty fun...Here are some of my favorite shots so far.






Now...let's get down to the real business of this post:
Last night I made my very first Coq au Vin!! It took a solid 3 hours, but it was well worth it. I mean, anything cooked in wine is wonderful in my book! Plus, I got to light some cognac on fire!!! (another first) I made some garlic mashed potatoes and toasted some french bread to serve alongside the chicken. It was heaven...warm, rich, delicious!! Perfect on a chilly fall night.

The classic Coq au Vin, or Rooster in Wine, is made using a big, old rooster. These are impossible to find in modern American grocery stores...so, a regular farm-raised chicken must do. (Another reason I will have my own chickens someday!) The recipe I used also suggested using a Capon...a bird I have neither heard of nor seen at my local Kroger! Chicken it is!!

I had originally intended to use Julia Child's recipe, but after some research on the necessary modifications of her fancy, French recipe; I decided to use this one from Anne Burrell. (she is the fun, platinum blonde on "Secrets of a Restaurant Chef") I also looked at Ina Garten's and Tyler Florence's recipes. This one looked like the simplest one for a first attempt. I plan on trying the others eventually...working my way up to Julia's!
Here is the link to the recipe from www.foodnetwork.com

Coq au Vin: Anne Burrell

My only modifications: I omitted the fingerling potatoes and made mashed potatoes instead...because they are my favorite! I used cognac instead of brandy...because I felt like it, okay?!


Chicken's all browned-up!


Look at that flame! Awesome!


I peeled all those little babies...


Ready to eat!



Lots of work, but sooo worth it. Just ask my Mama, she got to eat with us!!

More recipes on the way...

1 comment:

  1. Love your new painting!!!! I am still so jealous of your cooking...I wish I had the love for it like you do! My problem is I just love the eating part...not the cooking part =)

    ReplyDelete