Saturday, February 6, 2010

Cranberry scones, Justin's woodworking and Saturday night chili

Justin had to work this morning. He is on a rotation in the NICU this month and it really isn't his cup of tea, so I decided to make his favorite breakfast when he got home. I found this recipe for cranberry scones in Everyday Food- Holiday Baking edition. I buy these every year around the holidays and always find new cookie recipes I love. This one is from 2007. Here is the recipe, with my own modifications:

Cranberry Scones (a fancy name for sweet biscuits, for all you Mississippi girls)

Everyday Food

2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for kneading
6 Tbs. sugar
1 Tbs. baking powder
1/2 tsp.salt
6 Tbs. chilled unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
2/3 cup plus 1 Tbs. heavy cream (you could use half and half or whole milk, too)
1/2 cup Craisins (or fresh or frozen halved cranberries, if you'd rather)

Preheat oven to 425. In a bowl, whisk together flour, 5 Tbs. sugar, baking powder,and salt. Cut butter into flour. Stir in 2/3 cup cream just until moistened. Fold in Craisins. Knead dough on floured surface 5- 10 times. Pat into 1 inch thick round. Transfer to baking sheet and cut into 8 wedges. Brush tops with remaining cream and sprinkle with sugar. Bake until golden. 12-15 min.

I usually make cream cheese icing to drizzle on top, but today, I was out of cream cheese. I just made a quick glaze with some of the cream and some powdered sugar instead...still yummy!



So, I think it is time for Justin's woodworking hobby to make a cameo. How is that cooking related, you ask? Well he has turned some beautiful bowls and made some gorgeous cutting boards for me!! Also, he made a super cool wine cabinet for my parents; which, unfortunately, I don't have a picture of since our hard drive crashed a few months ago. (I know. Boo.) But, since we are on the subject, let me show off some of his non- kitchen pieces, too. I am just so darn proud and wanted to share with y'all how talented my hubby is! I love you, honey!

My beautiful chopping block...the inscription on the bottom says "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach" So sweet!

Getting veggies chopped for tonight's chili!

Maple, cherry, and walnut turned bowls




Red Cedar Chest


Oak library table

He's pretty good, huh? More pictures are to come!

It is frrrreezing outside today, and I am in the mood for chili! Time to fire up the crock pot, make some hot tea, and watch a movie! Here is an easy recipe for turkey chili that can be made quickly on the stovetop, or slow cooked all day in your crock pot. It is full of lean protein and veggies. Enjoy!

Easy Turkey Chili

1 Tbs. olive oil
1 onion chopped
1 green bell pepper chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped
1 pound ground turkey (I get the leanest available- 97% fat free)
3 Tbs. tomato paste
1 and 1/2 packages chili seasoning
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
2 cans kidney beans

Heat olive oil in large pan over medium heat. Add onion, pepper, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper and cook until tender, stirring occasionally. Add turkey, season with salt and pepper. Break up meat with spoon. Cook until no longer pink. Add tomato paste and seasoning, mixing well.
At this point, if you are using a crock pot, place tomatoes and beans in crock pot. Transfer turkey mixture to crock pot and turn heat to high. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low and cook 3-6 hours. If you are in a hurry, add tomatoes and beans to your pan and bring chili to a simmer. Simmer for 10 - 15 minutes.
Serve with shredded cheese, tortilla chips, sour cream, cilantro, green onions...whatever you have on hand. Tonight I had some shredded cheddar and blue corn chips.


One last thing! Check out this cool tube of tomato paste I found! I love this...just squirt out the amount you need and put the rest in the fridge. Cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment